What is effective communication? There may be times where we find ourselves having trouble making others understand what we are trying to express. Sometimes, misunderstandings arise even though you think you spoke effectively. Perhaps they did not catch the meaning or essence of the idea you were trying to convey. Communicating effectively is an important aspect, which ensures that your thoughts and ideas are expressed clearly.
After knowing what is effective communication, here are some tips on effective communication that will significantly help you the next time you have to speak to an audience or to that high profile client.
1. What it means to communicate effectively: Basically, it entails that words, thoughts, and expressions should be conveyed and the person/s you are talking to will understand what you are saying.
2. Be clear on what you want to achieve: Effective communication means directly conveying information. Do not try to twist your words to make people do as you want. This may cause them to lose trust in you. Just focus on the main goal and try to be as honest as possible.
3. Be tactful: To have tact is to be sensitive to others. It is important not to seem offensive when things get heated up. Maintain composure and remember that being sensitive to the feelings of your audience is a plus.
4. Modulate your tone: The tone of voice you use plays a big part in communicating your message. It should not be condescending or demanding since the person you are talking to might perceive your message in a negative light.
5. Have respect for yourself and others: This is in relation to tip number 3 and 4. Always remember, to earn respect you must first show respect.
6. Never lose track of your general purpose for communication: Having a positive intention is the key to effective communication. It not only creates a good vibe, it is productive and also leads to positive results.
7. Know your audience: Knowing who you are talking to is important because as the communicator, it will aid you in formulating a speech that suits your audience. It is important to know their background or line of work so you can identify the approach you need to use in delivering your message. Try to ask first what their interests and preferences are.
8. There may be room for misunderstandings: Since it is inevitable at times to be misunderstood, just be apologetic and understanding. Always make it seem as if there was something you did not discuss or explain properly and try to do it better.
9. Listening and understanding: These are the two most effective ways to communicate. Looking back at the start of this article, what is effective communication again? It is knowing how to listen and understand. This ensures that you can convey your message clearly.
Having effective communication skills is what enables you to speak with others with minimal misunderstandings and it is what gets you your desired results. Just remember, the next time you have to communicate with someone, ask yourself, what is effective communication?