With the growing awareness regarding global warming, more and more people are now leaning towards an environment-friendly way of life. This is also thanks to the advocacies of organizations like Worldwatch, which actively promotes a sustainable environment.
Through Worldwatch’s program Go Green, Save Green, people have now become conscientious of their actions, particularly with the way they treat the environment. The concept of the campaign is simple: if you want to save the earth, then go back to the basics. With today’s fast-paced lifestyle, few people get to appreciate this concept. Many are not willing to give up their comfortable ways to help protect the environment. In this sense, having a sustainable environment may seem to be next to impossible, but through the efforts of environmental groups such as Worldwatch, a greener lifestyle is attainable.
Have the same advocacies with that of Worldwatch? You too can help save the environment in your own little way such as taking these following actions:
1. Use compact fluorescent light bulbs instead of incandescent bulbs. Fluorescent light bulbs consume less electricity as compared to incandescent bulbs.
2. Unplug electronic appliances when not in use. As long as it remains plugged, electronic appliances consume electricity even when not in use. Another option to save electricity is by using a “smart” power strip that cuts the electricity consumption whenever it detects that the appliance is off.
3. Adjust your thermostat according to the weather. Set the thermostat slightly lower during the cold months and slightly higher during the hot months to cut down on cooling and heating costs.
4. Hand wash your clothes. Washing your clothes manually does not only protect your clothes from wear and tear but it also saves as much as 85% of energy when you use your washing machine as it utilizes heat.
5. Instead of machine drying, air dry your clothes using a drying rack or a clothesline. Your clothes won’t be as crumpled compared to clothes that are machine dried.
6. Have a quick shower. A quick shower can help reduce your water and electric consumption. Not only do you get to save money, but you also partake in the conservation of these important environmental resources.