When traveling in Spain or anywhere in Europe, Barcelona is usually on top of the list of places to visit, owing to the breathtaking architecture of La Sagrada Familia. But there’s more to Barcelona than just old churches and amazing architecture. Here is a quick Barcelona travel guide so you’ll know what to do when you travel to this culture-rich city.
1. Check out Picasso’s youth. Visit Calle Reina Christina where Picasso spent his childhood years, which he depicted as a very vibrant and wonderful city. After a few minutes of strolling, make your way to Museu Picasso to view the gallery depicting his childhood life.
2. Hop through Gaudi’s wonderful display of architecture. Apart from La Sagrada Familia, Gaudi also designed several landmarks all throughout Barcelona. Be amazed with the grandiose architecture of Park Güell, Güell Pavilions, and Casa Vicens.
3. Hike through the mighty Montjuïic. This may not be for the weak-hearted but for those who are adventuruous enough, climbing and reaching the peak of Mt. Montjuïic will reward you if picturesque views and historic sites such as a lighthouse and some old structures used in the 1992 Olympic games.
4. Have some fresh seafood. Dine in one of the finest Galician restaurant in Barcelona – Botafumeiro, and taste its various delicacies including the sumptuous seafood served by perfectly-dressed waiters. Don’t forget to try their fresh oysters!
5. Join the street parties. Party-lovers will definitely have an amazing time in Barcelona when coming on a September. It’s during this time that Barcelona celebrates Festes de la Mercèe, which ironically started out as a religious parade several years ago. It celebrates the Catalan culture and later turned out to be a week-long party celebration. It features firework displays, exhibitions, air shows and lots of contests.
6. Dance the flamenco! Visit El Tablao de Carmen to experience doing this traditionan Spanish dance. Locals there are genuinely nice and will teach you how to do the moves without getting embarassed.
Lastly, never ever experience all of this without having a camera with you to document the memorable events!